Friday, September 25, 2009

Deep Thoughts...

Since having my own children, I find that I'm far less judgemental of other people. One of my favorite statements has always been that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks the other person's stinks. Everyone has their own opinions about everything from childcare to politics to religion. You know the drill. Every day we are subjected to other people's opinions. You ahve a choice whether or not to let it influence you. I recently told someone that if I let everyone's parenting advice affect me, I wouldn't be able to do anything right. You hear this is wrong or that is wrong. You should or shouldn't do these things. You have to make a decision that's right for you. I know that I have strong opinions myself (duh) and it's hard to keep those to myself, but I have to remember just because it works for me doesn't mean it works for someone else. Keeping our opinions out of other people's business is hard. What it boils down to for me is that I can determine my own values, morals and opinions and you can have yours. I can't necessarily expect to change yours and you're not going to change mine. now there are some things that are just givens. Murder is wrong, and abuse or exploitation of a child is wrong. But other than that, adults have a right to express their own opinions and do their own thing. I can't tell you what you can and can't do to your body, that decision has to be right for you.

There's nothing really pressing that brought this to my mind other than just something that has been rattling around in my brain for a while.

In other news, it's Friday. I have a dilemma that is rolling around in my brain. You know how when you know what the right thing probably is, but it's hard to do and you know either way you won't be very happy with the outcomes? Yeah,t hat's where I am right now.

Jay is going to stay with his Gigi and Papa tomorrow night. Originally it was because I had a paper due next week, but that deadline has been pushed back two mroe weeks. Planning to use the time to catch up on other work and maybe get ahead of the game for once. Possibly dinner with new friends tomorrow night. Spend time with Nell. I feel like we're so wrapped up in everything else that she doesn't always get the individual attention that Jay has always enjoyed. And Jay will definitely be getting special attention Saturday night with his Gigi!

No comments:

Post a Comment