Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chicken Tetrazzini

So recently I wanted to make a casserole for someone. You know how we do it here. Tragedy strikes and we bring food. It’s the way we comfort each other. So I love the “Freezer Pleaser” sections in my Simple & Delicious magazines and one of the neatest things about this magazine, is that once you’re a subscriber, you get access to their database of recipes online! The “Freezer Pleasers” are recipes that make two casseroles. You cook one for dinner and freeze the other. All of a sudden I had this beautiful dream of myself making casseroles and having them on hand in the freezer! And then when I need one to take to someone or need a quick dinner I could take one out and cook it and look like I had spent all this time and effort. Ohm and I want to be five foot six while I’m at it!!! Please wishing fairy???
Back from fantasy land here, and I just want to say that this is one dish I love and have always wanted to make. I’ve made the convenience version (using cream of mushroom soup) and was left wanting something else. I really missed the creaminess of a “real” chicken tetrazzini.
So you start out by cooking spaghetti noodle and melting some butter. Add flour, salt and pepper to the melted butter and stir until smooth. Then I added chicken broth, half and half and whipping cream. Heated that to a boil and then let it thicken for a few minutes.IMG_5067I used my favorite trick for cooked, cubed chicken which is to buy a rotisserie from the grocery store! One rotisserie chicken yields four cups of chicken.Then I drained some pimentos and mushrooms (I love mushrooms).  IMG_5069Added all that to the mix. IMG_5071Added the drained spaghetti noodles, divided the mixture between two casserole dishes and topped with shredded parmesan cheese.  IMG_5077 Did I mention that chicken tetrazzini is one of my favorite dishes!IMG_5079And so here’s where I fess up and say that when I made this, I was so focused on getting it to the table since in the evenings my children act like they’re starving and haven’t eaten all day so that’s the last picture I got! Not of it hot and steams and creamy on the plate with a little garden salad to the side. No, this came out of the oven and was immediately shoveled onto plates.
My husband thinks I’m crazy for taking pictures of food again anyways…
He says there’s medication for this….
Here’s the recipe…

Ingredients

  • 1 package (12 ounces) spaghetti
  • 1/3 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
  • 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 3 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
  • 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced pimientos, drained
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

  • Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add the broth, half-and-half and whipping cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
  • Remove from the heat. Stir in the chicken, mushrooms and pimientos. Drain spaghetti; add to the chicken mixture and toss to coat.
  • Transfer to two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 2 months. Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
  • To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir before serving. Yield: 2 casseroles (3-4 servings each).

No comments:

Post a Comment