Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Makin baby food!!

When I was pregnant with Jay, I made the decision that I thought it would be nice to make all my own baby food. I started researching it and looking up information and really liked what I found. It sounded easy and had quite a few benefits. It's supposed to help your child be a less picky eater, it has more flavor than the jarred stuff, and they get used to your cooking and seasoning. Also, when I looked at a jar of baby food, I noticed that absorbic acid is added to baby food. It's some kind of preservative? Why do I want to feed my child a preservative if I don't have to? So I set out to make his food. I ordered a book from Amazon called "Blender Baby Food" that I love, love, love!! I love the fact that it takes you through month by month and what you should introduce each month. The book is easy and the more complex baby foods tatste great!

Right now, Nell is eating fruits and vegetables. They're really easy. Just clean and cut up the veggies. Steam or boil them. Throw them in a food processor. We've done broccoli, squash, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and apples so far. She doesn't care much for the butternut squash, but loves sweet potatoes!

Jay really loved his applesauce. I was peeling an cutting apples for months! It was so time consuming. Just about every other weekend I was doing this. So I finally invested in this...
It makes making applesauce so much fun!

I feel very domestic when I do this!
I wish I could find a use for this stuff, but it's so pretty!
If you want to make your own applesauce, peel, core and chop up your apples. Throw them in a pot and cover with water. Boil until they soften up, then throw into a food processor. Jay loves a sprinkle of cinnamon in his and likes it warmed! Nell likes hers straight or mixed with her cereal for breakfast.

More baby food recipes to come so stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment